Monday, August 18, 2008

Mark Spitz

I can barely contain my enthusiasm. I can't believe I saw Mark Spitz, one of my swimming idols, in the flesh at my little cafe. Jeorge called me yesterday to tell me a famous swimmer was in the restaurant but had not found out who it was. A few minutes later he called and said "Mark Spitz in eating at table 8!" I freaked and immediately began to doubt him and kept asking over and over if it was really him. He said he was sure of it because he was getting mobbed by all of our guests asking for autographs and pictures. As soon as I heard that, I jumped in the car and drove to the Maple Leaf. As soon as I arrived, I went to the front and caught a glimpse of him. I was so excited I began to shake and did not have the nerve to walk over to him. One of our employees got his autograph for me and I was thrilled!! I went outside with james b/c I was still shaking and could not believe my eyes. He came out with his wife and started walking towards us. I could not even mutter hello, I had instantly become shy. A group of people passed by and I heard one of the gentleman say "Oh my god thats Mark F'in Spitz"!!

I went to the Maple Leaf with the kids today for breakfast and found out he had been there an hour prior to us eating breakfast. I was so sad I was not there to see him. One of the waitresses said he is going to New York today so he can appear on one of the early shows. He is going to come back to Michigan for a few more days because his son is competing in the maccabiah Games. I hope I can see him again, and I hope I will be able to mutter a few words to him.

No comments: